Sector Middleware Specialist
Experience Greater Than 10 Year
Qualifications Degree Bachelor
Cluster: Labour and Transportation Cluster
Ministry: Ministry of Transportation
Assignment Name: PMPD Road User Safety Project
Anticipated Assignment Start Date: Monday, June 22, 2020
Anticipated Assignment End Date: Wednesday, March 31, 2021
Est. # of Days: 209 days
Work Location – 87 Sir William Hearst Ave. Toronto, ON M3M 0B4
Road User Safety Program
The mandate of MTO’s Road User Safety Program is to develop and support Ministry strategies for improvement of road safety and vehicle mobility through:
- Education, enforcement and regulation of safe driving behavior; and
- Promotion of vehicle and motor carrier safety while striving to provide excellent customer service
The program also manages the driver licensing service, which issues permits to drive, in the form of a Drivers’ Licence Card, to qualified Ontario residents. Key Priority Areas currently include:
- Road Safety: Continue to improve road safety for all road users;
- Business Integrity and Modernization: Uphold public trust and pursue change to meet clients’ needs;
- Service Delivery Partnerships: Develop relationships and oversight of delivery partners;
- Enhanced Public Service and Customer Satisfaction: Provide quality products and services
- Horizontal Integration and Collaboration:
o Support development of integrated and efficient products and services
o Improved system integration (i.e. alleviating stress from primary databases)
MTO has overall accountability to maintain the provincial driver, vehicle and carrier I&IT systems consisting of more than 65 applications, in partnership with the Labour and Transportation I&IT Cluster. These systems touch most Ontarians in one way or another. They collect and manage data for Ontario’s 8.9 million drivers, 10.6 million vehicles, and 85,000 registered truck and bus carriers. The systems process over 30 million business transactions each year. More than 40 key stakeholders, including delivery agents, partner ministries, and external customers rely on the ministry’s computerized systems to provide and process data and information.
These consultant resources will be used to augment our current complement of full time staff, to extend the cluster’s capacity in a flexible and timely manner, to ensure we have the ability to meet defined timelines in order to ensure delivery for the business critical requirements.
Scope of Services and Deliverables – The Services and Deliverables to be provided by the Vendor will include the following:
The purpose of this RFS is to acquire two Middleware Specialists to provide support and participate in the planning, analysis, documentation of processes and functionality for the ongoing maintenance and support in the Road User Safety Division Business Area of the Road User Safety Division. The Consultant may be required to work on multiple assignments and possibly some concurrent assignments during the term of the contract.
The Middleware Specialists will complete the following activities;
- Application Support and Troubleshooting
o Middleware Administration for the Linux, Weblogic applications as follows;
▪ Pro-active systems usage and capacity monitoring of Websphere, Weblogic, Linux V7+ application systems.
▪ Analyzing and solving data integrity, security, configuration and recovery issues
▪ Assessing and testing Change Requests (CRQ) with technical content and updating as necessary
▪ Participation in release promotions/implementations
▪ Application, middleware and middleware incident resolution management.
▪ Review monthly ITS report cards for system issues and advise on courses of action to resolve them
▪ Management of SSL and PKI certificates
▪ Protocols: SNA. DLSw, TCP/IP, SSL, PKI, DLC, SMTP, SFTP
Skill Set for Middleware Specialist
- Knowledge and expertise in Weblogic V12, Websphere V9, Informatica V10 configuration, customization
- Knowledge and expertise in DevOps toolsets in Azure Cloud, including but not limited to, Docker, Ansible, Terraform, Azure DevOps Pipelines, Kubernetes, Openshift.
- Demonstrated experience in git, including branching and merging strategies (e.g. git-flow), collaborating via pull requests and practicing “Git Ops”
- Design and implement infrastructure as code build automation using Terraform and immutable infrastructure with Ansible, Packer
- Knowledge of systems, data communications and telecommunication technology including experience with Linux V7, UNIX Solaris V10 and Mainframe IMS Connect, system software and system tools
- Implementing Instance/Application performance tuning, storage/capacity management, DB migration/upgrade, Backup/Disaster Recovery (DR) strategies
- Knowledge of Clustering, Load balancers, and Firewall configuration and experience accomplishing the same in Azure cloud
- Experience with traditional middleware technologies (JEE, Java) and web technologies (Node.js, Azure Functions, Serverless, Pub/sub event driven systems, Azure App gateway, Express, React)
- Experience on application monitoring and support
Support & Troubleshooting
- Strong problem solving, reasoning and trouble-shooting experience to provide advice and resolve data recovery issues in a multi-platform environment
- Support for pre-production and production systems on 7/24/365 basis for application and middleware
- Experience conducting system monitoring and performance and data integrity in accordance with ITIL standards
Communication, Leadership & Interpersonal Skills:
- Strong oral and written communications and interpersonal skills with experience making presentation, liaising with staff to resolve issues, and working as part of a technical multidisciplinary team
- Based on management’s request, the ability to provide support to internal and external clients on a 7/24 basis
- Experience in coordinating and providing leadership to staff and stakeholders.
RUS Support Knowledge:
- Knowledge of RUS architecture, applications, databases and systems.
- Experience on supporting enterprise business and infrastructure projects
- Knowledge in Incident Management, Change Management
- Ability to perform performance analysis
- Experience in resource usage tracking, analysis
- Ability to perform log searches for problem solving, audit and performance checking
- Experience in emergency problem resolution
- Ability to provide ad-hoc reporting
Knowledge and Experience Requirements:
The candidate must be able to resolve and troubleshoot complex technical problems which arise during the use and operation of applications and middleware packages, including providing senior-level technical assistance in implementation, conversion and migrations. Also, the candidate must be able to work in a multi-project, multi-disciplinary enterprise environment seeking input and comment from other major initiatives.